Thursday, June 28, 2007
Monday, June 25, 2007
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Friday, June 15, 2007
- The Duchy of Grand Thidwick
Principal exports: wool, woolen goods
- Principality of Saxe-Goldberg
Principal exports: clocks, gadgets, contraptions, toys
Principal exports: beef, haggis, bagpipes
Principal exports: baked goods
Capital: Zwei Pfennig
Principal exports: bicycles, carriages
Principal exports: musical instruments
Principal exports: wigs
Principal exports: fine linens, Donnybrook ale and root beer
Principal exports: walking sticks, carved wood
- Santa Sofia
Principal exports: ice cream, confections, chocolate
Principal exports: cookware
Principal exports: glassware
Principal exports: tapestries, sauces
Here endeth today's lesson.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
The country of Batrachia is a kingdom to the west of the League, ruled currently by King Leroy the XIVth (or is it XVth?).
The kingdom is divided into a number of provinces, such as -
- Bordelleaux, with its famed red wine district
- Haute Cuisine
- Haute Couture
The capital is N'est Pas
One of the most noted generals is General Napoleon Soleau. Some say he is a little too ambitious.
His brother Hans is a noted admiral of the Batrachian navy; many have tried, but so far no one has been able to sink Soleau.
One of the least noted generals is General D'Zastre, a political appointee.
Some of the units of Batrachia:
The Black and Blue Curassiers ("looks more like purple to me")
The King's Own Royal Gendarmes (part of the Corps du Roi)
The Chevaliers de Poupon
The Hussars de Panache (Colonel Marquis de Panache commanding)
The Wild Goose Chasseurs (Errant* cavalry commanded by Colonel Padraig "Paddy" de Fois Gras - they can be found anywhere there is a good Donnybrook**)
In the past the Batrachians have invaded nations of the Soweiter League by way of the Faux Pass and the Pass de Deux
* Errant - from the island of Errland or Ere as it is sometimes know
** Donnybrook - an excellent ale from Errland
Monday, June 11, 2007
These are the Ballyfoole Grenadiers (from Foundry). The commanding officer is Colonel Kelly. The uniforms will be medium green jackets, probably with white or yellow facings.
Due to space and time and cost I prefer to keep units small. This unit will have around 14 figures, including officers, musicians, flag-bearer and all.
Also trying to figure out ranks. I assume the overall commander of a nation's army will usually be a general (or equivalent term), but what would the commander of a unit like the Grenadiers be? For that matter what would the unit itself be (a regiment?)?
I enjoy reading history (stress on the "story"), but I don't want to get too hung up in historical facts and minutiae. This is all in fun after all! :-)
I suppose the League could institute its own organization. :-)
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Thirteen and One Half League
Soweiter - The Soweiter League, named after the village in which the details were hammered out by delegates from 13 small states, has been formed for mutual defense and trade. Soweiter, by virtue of its location in the midst of Hasenpfeffer-Heisenberg was the meeting place for this historic event.
The particpating charter members were:
- The Duchy of Grand Thidwick, Sir Argyle Fitz-Basset representing Her Grace Catherine Zeta Figg-Netwon
- The Principality of Saxe-Goldberg, Furst Rudolf von Saxe-Goldberg and Prinzessin Ruby
- Saxe-Urquhart, Earl Angus MacHaggis of that ilk
- Hesse-Pfeffernusse, Graf Hansel von Pfeffernusse
- Pfennig-Pfarthing, Prince Peter Pfeiffer von Pfennig-Pfarthing and Princess Penelope
- Hesse-Offenbach, Graf Georg Friederich "Fritz" von Offenbach
- Ober-Umlaut, Markgraf Otto von Ober-Umlaut
- Ballyfoole, Prince Seamus O'Toole and Princess Caitlin
- Saxe-Waldorf, Hofmeister Wolfgang von Stadtler-Waldorf
- Santa Sofia, Conte Luigi Funiculi-Funicula and Contessa Rafaella
- Hasenpfeffer-Heisenberg, Herzog Werner von Heisenberg-Hasenpfeffer
- Jingleheimer-Schwartz, Burgermeister Johan Jakob Jingleheimer-Schwartz
- Mayeux, Comte Louis-Carroll de Mayeux and Comtessa Virginia "Fifi" de Mayeux
As part of the historic agreement Soweiterstadt has been set aside as the independent seat of government for the League.